This Side-Trip is a fascinating option for those who want to combine off the beaten track routes in the nature and a visit to Machu Picchu, one of the seven wonders of the world. You will experience an amazing hike, followed by Stand-Up Paddling at a serene lake located in the Sacred Valley of the Inca before you start an amazing train ride to Machu Picchu. The cherry on the cake is a hike to Huayna Picchu mountain, the impressive mountain on the back of Machu Picchu from where you will have a different and not less impressive view at Machu Picchu from the other side. After the visit we will bring you back to Cusco to fullfil a perfect roundtrip starting and ending at your hotel in the capital of the Inca Empire.
Day 1: Hike to the Huchuy Qosqo Inca Ruins
Day 2: Day at Lake Piuray & Train Ride to Machu Picchu
Day 3: Day at Machu Picchu & Huayna Picchu Mountain
Hike to the Huchuy Qosqo Inca Ruins
In the morning, we pick you up at your hotel and drive to our starting point at the ruins of Tambomachay just 20 minutes outside of Cusco (Entrance to the ruins is optional and not included).
Afterwards we pull our backpacks and start our 7-8 hours challenging but beautiful hike through the Sacred Valley of the Incas. We will hike for about 4 hours to Sihua village. We will cross the small village of Sihua that still keeps ancient traditions by wearing traditional clothes and speaking Quechua, the mother tongue of the Andes. Then we will hike up a challenging part on the original Inca Trail for a while until we reach a beautiful viewpoint. Here will enjoy a nice picnic-box lunch in the nature.
Afterwards we will cross a huge field of agricultural terraces and take a look at the little town of Lamay below us. It won’t be far from here and after a few hundred meters we will reach a small gate to the Inca ruins of Huchuy Qosqo. We will visit the impressive ruins and your guide will explain you their significance for the Inca before we continue to go to our Lodge not far away from the Ruins.
Here we will sleep in basic rooms and have a traditional dinner before we rest.
Meals: Box-Lunch, Dinner
Accommodations: Basic Accommodation with a local Family
Day at Lake Piuray & Train Ride to Machu Picchu
In the morning, we will have breakfast and return hiking to Chincheros. This takes about 3 hours and will be mostly downhill where we have to be careful not to slip on the stony path. Once we arrive to Chincheros, we will continue hiking on towards Lake Piuray a tranquil lake located in the heart of the Sacred Valley.
At the Lake we will be welcomed and can have a nice hot drink, water and/or snacks while taking first pictures of the lake and relax a bit. After this refreshment our assigned guide will provide you with all the equipment to perform Kayaking or Stand-Up-Paddling on the lake. The tour will last between 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 Minutes. For those who are interested there will be also the option for a 20-minute Yoga session and/or an immersion in ice water.
In the afternoon, we will continue our adventure and will head to the train station of Ollantaytambo. We will take the train to the small city of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo) that is located at the foot of Machu Picchu. You will have time for dinner and rest in your hotel before the next exciting day.
Accommodations: (S) Hatun Samay
Day at Machu Picchu & Huayna Picchu Mountain
The next morning you will start early and active since you will not take the bus as most of the tourists but you will hike up to the entrance gate of Machu Picchu (bus tickets are upon request and not included). Once you arrive to the entrance gate, you will meet with your guide and you will explore the mysterious sanctuary with your guide, who will lead you through the ruins and give you archaeological and historical information at key points along the way. After a tour of approx. 2 hours, your guide will show you the way to the entrance gate of Huayna Picchu Mountain and leave you on your own in order to hike in privacy.
The hike takes around 2-3 hours (roundtrip) until you will return to the entrance gate. Aferwards, you will still have some time for walking around the citadel before you will take the bus to Aguas Calientes again.
Once again you will not take the touristic bus but hike downhill to the small village. For those who are already tired of the long day, there is the chance to purchase a bus ticket (upon request and not included). Down in Aguas Calientes you will pick up your luggage in the hotel and return to the Bus Station. You will first take the train back to Ollantaytambo train station, where our driver will await you in order to drive you back to Cusco.
Accommodations: None provided
Price per person (based on 2 people)
Standard: $ 699
Hotels subject to change.
- All private pick up services from / to hotels & train stations
- Accommodation for 01 night in a basic lodge in Huchuy Qosqo
- Accommodation for 01 night in a 3* Hotel in Aguas Calientes
- 01 Box-Lunch in the nature (day 1)
- 02 Breakfast (day 2 & 3)
- 01 Dinner in the Lodge (day 1)
- All mentioned tours + entrance fees
- Entrance ticket for Machu Picchu & Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Train tickets (tourist class) for your Machu Picchu trip: Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Huchuy Qosqo hike (private service; with English- or -Speaking tour guide)
- Kayaking or Stand-Up-Paddling at Lake Piuray (private service; with English- or -Speaking tour guide)
- 02 hours Machu Picchu tour (private service; with English- or -Speaking tour guide)
- 24 hours’ emergency response phone number (Spanish / English)
- International & domestic airfares, unless specifically mentioned.
- Accommodation if not mentioned
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks if not mentioned
- Bus tickets for Machu Picchu ($24.00 USD per person)
- Travel insurance
- Additional expenses
WE CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Tailor made tours in order to provide safe traveling.
- We comply with all the protocols for the prevention and control of our health before receiving you.
- Clean, sanitized, safe tourist transportation and friendly drivers that will take you from one destination to another.
- Selected and inspected hotels that comply with all hygiene and safety protocols.
- Assistance 24 hours during your trip, count on our support at all times.