For those who look for a completely different and active experience in the Sacred Valley, the day hike to the Poc Poc Waterfalls is the perfect option. Not far away from Cusco the 6 to 8-hour hike starts and leads you to the almost unknown and beautiful waterfalls. Adventurers get the chance to connect with the nature but also get an idea of the traditional rural life in Peru since tourism is not popular in this area of the sacred valley of the Inca. There exists also an optional 4-hour hike (upon request).
All food on this tour is prepared mostly with local ingredients.
Day 1: Pick up at the hotel – hike to the PocPoc Waterfall – Return to the hotel
Day Hike from Cusco to the PocPoc Waterfall
Ir breakfast, we will depart from Cusco at around 07:00 am. From here we will drive towards Chinchero, a charming little town, located at 3754 m /12326 ft above sea level. First we will visit the archeaological site for around 30-45 minutes before we start our hike to the Poc Poc waterfall. On our hike we will walk along parts of the original Inca Trail and pass agricultural fields.
After around 1km we will reach a nice viewpoint surrounded by mountains from where we will have an amazing view on the valley and see the village of Urquillos on the horizon.
We will continue our hike until we reach the Poc Poc Waterfall. The Waterfall really is impressive and about 30 meters high situated in pure nature. In this scenery we will take a short break and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. After the break we will continue the walk for about 3 more hours arriving at the town of Urquillo at around 1:00 p.m. We will observe its ancient ruins before we will meet our driver who will wait for us at the end of the trail. From here we head towards Yucay, a small town where we will have a delightful lunch buffet in a nice courtyard.
After Lunch we will return to Cusco where we will arrive around 3-4pm.
This hike is not very popular yet which is why you may not even meet any tourist along the way and some trails are almost untouched.
- Private service; with English- or Spanish-speaking tour guide
- Transportation from/to your hotel
- 01 lunch in a local restaurant
- 24 hours’ emergency response phone number (Spanish / English)
- International & domestic airfares, unless specifically mentioned.
- Breakfast, dinner and drinks if not mentioned
- Optional entrance to Chinchero Ruins (not required for the hike)
- Travel insurance.
- Items of personal nature such as gratuities, internet charges, excess baggage charges, laundry, beverages and meals not described in the itinerary.